The Libertyville Mosquito Abatement program entails several preventative measures that help reduce the number of mosquitoes in the Libertyville area. Mosquito abatement efforts include the following:
- Survey and mapping
- Surveillance and monitoring
- Larval control
- Adult control
- Spot inspections
The Village contracts with Clarke Environmental to provide mosquito abatement services. If you would like to be notified in advance of Village-wide sprays, please call Clarke Environmental Mosquito Management, Inc. at 1-800-942-2555.
Preventative Measures for Residents
While the Village continues its effort to reduce the mosquito population, the most important thing individual residents can do is take preventative measures to reduce the impact of mosquitoes on their property. In any given season mosquito levels can vary depending, primarily, on weather conditions. While the Village does take steps to reduce mosquito levels, many areas nearby and outside the Village do not which can contribute to higher levels of mosquitos. The Village's services are meant to be in addition to abatement activities undertaken by homeowners and businesses on their private property.
- Minimize standing water that serves as breeding sites, such as lids, cans, jars, or old tires.
- Keep shrubs, lawns, and weeds trimmed to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes.
- Fill in or drain any low places in your yard (puddles, ruts, etc.).
- Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts.
- Empty and clean bird baths and small wading pools weekly.
- Engage services of mosquito control specialists.