Snowy Weather Reminder
As winter weather approaches the Village would like to remind residents that plowing of Village streets begins when snow becomes more than one inch deep and when freezing temperatures indicate there will be no more melting. Salting occurs when weather conditions create hazardous icing. Plow driver’s primary focus is on keeping the main arteries, emergency vehicle routes and collector streets open, followed by snow removal on neighborhood streets and alleys. Sidewalks are cleared along most of Milwaukee Avenue and around the central business district area. In all other areas, the Village requests that citizens and businesses maintain clear walkways. Many state and county roads in and around the Village are cleared by state or county crews. The Village plows and salts some roads in this category, including Milwaukee Avenue from Adler Drive to Hollister Drive, and Park Avenue from Butterfield Road to the Des Plaines River. Here are additional tips:
For more information on snow control during a snow storm contact the Public Works Department at 847-362-3434, the non-emergency police at 847-362-8310 or visit www.libertyville.com/snowplowing.
- When clearing your driveway, shovel or blow the snow onto the parkway to the right side of your driveway as you face the street. Depositing snow on the streets is a violation of Village ordinance and creates a hazard after it freezes.
- Park your vehicle off the street. On street parking is prohibited between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. during snow events.
- Mailboxes should be 12 inches from the curb. Please ensure that the post is secure.
- Adopt a fire hydrant and keep it clear of snow. It is there for your protection.
- Be a good neighbor, if there is a public sidewalk in front of your residence or business, please remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk. A public sidewalk cleared of snow and ice provides easier access for pedestrians during the winter months.