The Libertyville Mosquito Abatement program uses preventative measures to help reduce the number of mosquitoes in the Libertyville area. These include the following:
- Survey and mapping
- Surveillance and monitoring
- Larval control
- Adult control
- Spot inspections
The Village contracts with Clarke Environmental to provide mosquito abatement services. Residents can register for service notifications here.
The Village has opted to use Clarke's EarthRight program in its mosquito control. EarthRight programs use only Clarke's OMRI Listed products and use eco-friendly application measures, including bikes and hybrid vehicles. For details about EarthRight, click here.
Preventative Measures for Residents
While the Village works to reduce the mosquito population, the most important thing residents can do is take preventative measures to keep mosquitos from breeding. Mosquito levels vary especially depending on the weather. While the Village has partnered with Clarke to provide mosquito abatement, areas nearby and outside the Village may not, and this can contribute to higher levels of mosquitos. The Village's services are meant to complement the preventative measures used by homeowners and businesses on their private property.
- Remove items that may collect water, like tires, buckets, or kiddie pools - these serve as breeding sites!
- Keep shrubs, lawns, and greenery trimmed to prevent hiding places for adult mosquitoes.
- Fill in or drain any low places in your yard like puddles or ruts.
- Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts.
- Empty and clean bird baths or other wildlife water basins every 72 hours.
- Report standing water in the Village here.
- Report mosquito annoyance in the Village here.