- Community Development Department
- Building Division
- General Permit Information
General Permit Information
Permits are required for any building, electric, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning work. A permit may be needed for tree removal. A list of the most common projects, with their submission requirements, is available for your use. View the requirements for a Commercial Project or Residential Project. The Village of Libertyville does not have contractor registration. However, please visit our Contractor Requirements page for items required from each type of contractor in order to do work in the Village of Libertyville.
Permit fees are established in the Village Fee Schedule. Building Permit fees are based on the cost of construction. A cash bond of $500 to $5,000 may be required for the permit. If building a new residential dwelling on a vacant lot, School and Park Donations may be required. See Building Division Fee Summary for details.
The following is a list of the most common projects that require permits. The old saying "if you have to go to the hardware store, you probably need a permit" is a helpful guideline. If you are unsure whether a permit is needed, contact us online or by phone at (847) 918-2020.
Work Requiring a Permit
- Air Conditioning
- Building Demolition
- Electrical Work
- Fence (New, Replacement & Repairs)
- Fire Pit
- Interior Demolition
- Lawn Sprinkler System
- Low Voltage Security System (Hardwire Only)
- New Building
- Plumbing Work
- Sewer Repair
- Sidewalk (Public & Private)
- Siding, Gutters, Soffit, and Fascia
- Structural Systems (New or Alteration)
- Swimming Pool (Above or Below Ground; also requires Fence, Site Engineering, & Electric Permits)
- Tenant Buildout
- Tree Removal
- Water Heater
- Window Openings (New or Changes to)
- Windows in Bedrooms and Basement (Replacement of Existing)
No construction work, material hauling, or construction equipment start-up before the hour of 7:00 am Monday through Friday, 8:00 am on Saturday, and 12:00 noon on Sunday. Construction work may not continue past the hour of 6:00 pm on any day.